Establishing of telecommunication service in Sri Lanka
Telegraph service by the Postal Department was established in 1857, between Colombo and Galle. Colombo- Kandy telegraph circuits were established in 1858, in the same year 250 telegraph lines were set-up to cover Colombo – Mannar - Thalai Mannar.
Construction work of over 600 miles of telegraph network of Colombo to Madras commenced in 1882 and ended in 1885.
A telegraph circuit Connecting Colombo - Dambulla and Trincomalee was established. Due to wild elephant menace, this circuit was abandoned. Later this circuit was reconstructed through Anuradhapura - Colombo – Trincomalee for exchange of telegrams.
The telegraph service operated in this country by India was handed over to Sri Lankan Government in 1880. At the time of handing over there were telegraph cables covering a length of 3,366 miles and Telephone cables covering a length of 1,653 miles.